Dorrigo Support Centre (DSC) Vision and Mission Statement
Dorrigo Support Centre is a service provider, located at Hickory House an accessible environment which gives our senior members of our community, people living with DisAbilities and their carers, as well as the wider community the opportunity to explore their environment and encourages and supports them to achieve their full potential.
Dorrigo Support Centre's purpose is to be a local and quality flexible service for seniors and people living with a DisAbility on the Dorrigo Plateau. This is achieved by recognising the gaps that exist, networking with community, advocating and being responsive to change.
To achieve this mission, we will.
- Provide services based on the choices of the people we support and offering consumer directed choice.
- Provide a centre which welcomes all people without judgement.
- Enhance the quality of life in the community by providing opportunities for personal and community growth.
- Empower people by doing things ‘with’’ them, not ‘to’ them or ‘for’ them.
- Facilitate self-help process by assisting individuals and their families with information and resources.
- Initiate links and encourage community networks which enable people to give and receive support.
- Promote community spirit by supporting individuals and community.
Dorrigo Support Centre is auspiced by the Bellingen Shire Council and we receive both State and Federal funding. Our policies clearly sets out the rules by which the organisation is run as well as general aims and objectives.
What we do
Dorrigo Support Centre offers referral, support, information, advocacy, centre-based activities, limited local transport, home visits and social gatherings to support members of our local community upon request.
- The centre offers opportunities for community members to visit the centre in a social capacity through recreational activities.
- The centre also hosts several community-based groups which cater for more specific needs within the community. These groups utilise the centre’s facilities to conduct their meetings or courses independent of the centre.
- The centre has a relaxed and welcoming environment with an attractive sensory garden which is an ideal location for either gardening or just sitting, engaging with others, or practising mindfulness.
Who we are
Dorrigo Support Centre has been providing service to individuals, people living with disAbilities and their carers since 1991. It started as a volunteer support service, but we were able to obtain some funding from Home and Community Care and Department Veterans Affairs to renovate the space at Hickory House in Dorrigo. Ongoing funding was secured in 1997 and the Neighbour Aid section of the service was started. We are proud of our connections and networks in the local and wider communities.
Our dedicated, professional, and friendly staff have a proven record in providing quality support to individuals, people living with a disAbility and their carers. Our staff and volunteers hold their first aid certificate, have been trained in Person Centred Practice, have completed their Certificate III or IV in disability work and or have a Diploma in Community Services as well as relevant industry training.
Where to from here
Dorrigo Support Centre aims to be the provider of choice for the Dorrigo Plateau by:
- Person centred, strengths-based consumer directed support.
- Positioning the Centre as the key home and community care provider for Dorrigo Plateau.
- Position the Centre as the key disability services provider for Dorrigo Plateau.
- Registered provider for the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
- Prepare for possible changes in Commonwealth funding arrangements e.g., tendering, changes to centre-based care.
- Employing and skilling staff to be able to achieve the above.
What actions need to be taken?
- Change service delivery model to increase number of volunteers and be able to provide more in home or in garden services and individualise transport.
- Increase marketing –Neighbour Aid & Social Support website, Support Centre website, links to information providers and referring organisations, local publicity, closer links with community nurses and social workers in Dorrigo/Coffs/Bellingen hospitals, Commonwealth Carer respite, Centrelink, Carer Association and network, National Disability Services.
- Partnering with local organisations for social support and centre-based service provision options - Men’s Shed, Exercise providers-aquarobics, Pilates, yoga, tai chi, thump, carpet bowls & general, art and craft groups, green lifestyle group, Garden club, seed savers, Walking group, CWA, View Club, Rotary, Lions, High school, and Primary schools.
- Linking with other service providers CHESS, Real Futures, Home Care Providers, Bellorana /Raleigh facility, Aged & Disability Providers; Community Transport; Community Options and Meals on Wheal’s Providers.
- Explore increased use of technology in the provision of service
Acknowledgement of Country.
Dorrigo Support Centre acknowledges the Gumbaynggir people, traditional owners, and custodians of the land on which we live, work and we pay our respects to elder’s past, present and emerging.
sent and emerging.